The 10 principles of good design according to Dieter Rams
Dieter Rams, internationally known for his designs for Braun (where he was head of design for 30 years), and one of the greatest designers to come out of the The Ulm School, shares his 10 principles that every good designer should know and use.
1. Good design is innovative.
2. Good design makes a product useful.
3. Good design is aesthetic.
4. Good design makes a product understandable.
5. Good design is unobtrusive.
6. Good design is honest.
7. Good design is long-lasting.
8. Good design is thorough down to the last detail.
9. Good design is environmentally friendly.
10. Good design is as little design as possible.
The last principle reflects his work best in regards to the economy of design and the concept of "less is more" which he approaches from the perspective of "less and more".
Some of Dieter Rams's most recognized works are the LE1 loudspeaker, the 606 Universal Shelving System, and the Braun T3 pocket radio. And as you know, many of these designs inspired the creation of Apple products that have been hugely successful in last decade: iPod, iMac and the Mac Pro.
And just a reminder that you can still visit the exhibition, systems design. the ulm school until February 28th, 2012.